- Sherlock Holmes was born in 1854 in London, England. Very little
is known about his early life. It is known that he has one brother, Mycroft Holmes,
who he consults from time to time.
- He lived at 221B Baker Street in London from 1881 - 1904 working as a consulting
- Dr. John Watson lived with Sherlock until his marriage in 1887. He serves as
Sherlock's friend, sidekick and biographer.
- Sherlock has an archenemy, Professor James Moriarty (the leader of a huge organized
crime ring) whose first appearance was in Doyle's The Adventure of the Final
- Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty both die in "The Final Problem" which took place
- In The Adventure of the Empty House, set in 1894, Sherlock is brought "back to
life" and explains to Watson that he faked his own death to fool his enemies.
- In "His Last Bow," Sherlock Holmes is depicted as a retired man
whose taken up bookkeeping on a farm in Sussex Downs in about 1904. The details of
Sherlock's actual death are unknown.
(from left to right) Dr. John Watson, Sherlock Holmes and Mycroft
Holmes as depicted in BBC's Sherlock.
Holmes and Moriarty fight over the Reichenbach Falls where they
fall to their "death." (illustration by Sidney Paget)